Sunday, April 17, 2011

Let's Celebrate "Phenomenal" Women

There's a wonderful Poem by Maya Angelou entitled "Phenomenal Woman" that celebrates the inner strength and grace all women possess. It's an empowering anthem that inspires me to be proud of who I am. I hope the lyrics can do the same for you:


"Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
The palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me."

This poem makes me think about not only honoring ourselves but also honoring the women in our lives for the phenomenal women they are. Imagine what the world would be like if women were not constantly "dressing" for other women to compete for a man's attention. What if we supported each other instead of tearing each other down? Can we break free of the "Mean Girls" mentality?

I think when women focus so much on competing with each other, they miss what they can learn from each other. I think there are a lot of great women transforming the world. Let's move past our own insecurities and start listening, reading and watching....

No comments:

Post a Comment