Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Way I Am

I’ve been debating how to continue my blog from abroad for the past few weeks when the answer was right under my nose. After taking the course, “Issues in Feminism” in the spring of 2010, I find that I am always looking at the world around me from a feminist perspective. It troubles and frustrates me that so many images, commercials, movies, televisions shows, etc. are comparing young women to absurd beauty ideals and pushing them to utilize new makeup or hair dye to “transform.” Sometimes I look at the television screen in disgust, asking, “Why can’t you just tell me that I’m fine the way I am!!” I’ve come to terms with the fact that the media is never going to stop putting out one-sided, sexist images of women, but at least I can critique it. I plan to use this blog to speak my mind and share feminist issues that puzzle me. Since every issue in the world can be connected to women, I’m letting this blog be an open space for me to discuss anything that’s on my mind.

I chose the title “The Way I Am” after some inspiration from the Ingrid Michaelson song. This past semester abroad has taught me to find my own voice and listen to it. Sometimes I become too wrapped up in listening to everyone else’s opinions but my own, and it’s about time I stood up for myself.

Here's a quote that sums up my feelings: "I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am." ~The Story People

No comments:

Post a Comment