Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm 20 years old, and I feel like I'm too old to be at a Kesha concert

(http://www.picgifs.com/celebrities/k/kesha/celebrities-kesha-548695.png)

Last week, my roommate and I took a spontaneous trip to Columbus to see Kesha perform. It was quite an experience to be sandwiched in between hundreds of preteens and older couples with their seven-year old children chanting to Kesha's "Tik Tok", "Cannibal" and "Take it Off." My roommate looked at me embarrassed asking if I also "felt like I was too old to be at this concert." 

The public image Kesha has crafted intrigued me the most. She emerged on stage in a black leotard, ripped stockings, wild hair, and crazy makeup, the opposite of a proper, well-manicured woman. She cultivates the persona that she's doesn't care about the way she looks. She just wants to party, drink a lot of beer, and play music occasionally. Her lyrics are simple, and I can see why her messages are seductive to young women that want to go out and have a good time. While she may fit narrow beauty standards with her thin frame and blond locks, she tarnishes that image when she curses on stages, touches herself, and dresses in messy clothes and makeup. So, she is escaping one stereotype that women must be polite and "nice" while confirming a stereotype that girls just want to party and exist for the pleasure of men. I still don't know what to make of Kesha's "image", but there is something that tells me that she's a lot smarter than she shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment